Saturday, December 23, 2006

Arrival, Days (& nights) 1, 2 and 3

Current mood: hopeful
Category: Travel and Places

Sorry guys I really wanted to make these blogs separate, but I don't have as much free time as thought I would, which I guess is a good thing.

Landing in Rhode Island made my stomach turn. It was a smooth landing, but the thought of actually being there, across the country, in the place where I spent the last 13 years of my life gave me butterflies. Memories just came flooding back and I had to literally fight them off, knowing that I wasn't the same person anymore.

The next morning I saw my stepsister Tanya and it shocked me to see how much she was like me when I was her age (not a good thing). My old room is her room now and she even has it set up the same way I had. Wow… My cell phone was blowing up even before I woke up (before I even flew in actually) with friends wanting to see me and the first person who got the honor to come by and take me out was TJ, my best guy bud ever since field hokey freshman year of high school. Hard to imagine I've known that boy for that long. I've literally watched him grow up from a scrawny little boy to a man and he knows me very well. Well, used to know me that is. He had a really hard time understanding the change in me, that I'm not his crazy anna banana anymore. He calls me St. Anna now which I think is cute J! It was so good to see him and catch up... I love how he can still confide in me and he knows I can see right through him. I love that boy. Next up was Paul, my volleyball/party buddy who's seen me at my worst and then heard that I preached at a volleyball game last spring. He came by and we hung out at my house before taking a drive downtown, it was really good to see him too, I'm getting him to throw a party while I'm here ;) so that we can all hang out, all the volleyball crew! One thing I noticed ever since I came back is that most of my close friends here are guys, and in Seattle they are girls, which is how it should be I guess, but here it's no big deal. I've known most of these guys forever and we have lot of history so I would think nothing of giving these guys full on bear hugs, telling them I loved them or hanging out with them one on one. I'm one of the guys here lol. The rest of the night I spent hanging out with the fam and my baby sister who is ridiculously cute, I cant stop taking pictures and videos of her! She looks just like me when I was her age it's really amazing! Next day I went to my high school (more butterflies) to visit my Physics teacher with whom I keep in touch with to this day. I actually had a dream about seeing him so I knew God had a divine appointment waiting for me. And it was a great one! Almost right off the bat he asked me about God and how I came to know Him (he knew about my church involvement from previous e mails) and for the next hour I got to share my testimony and we talked about God! It was too cool! He could see the change in me and it made an impact on him. I gave him a City Church touch card told him to go online and check out some messages so I can't wait to hear what happens next. After that my friend (ex) Eddy came by to hang out at the house for a while and it was interesting... God's been working on him for a while, so anytime now... Lastly, Aida and I hung out, went to dinner (Cape Verde food!) and met up with Meliza and Leo (other 2 sisters) to chill at Meli's boyfriend's house and watch a movie. It's funny how both Aida and Meli are now dating guys that I went to high school with. Of course the question everyone I see or talk to asks me is whether or not I'm dating someone and if I have any men in my life. I'm actually pretty tired of explaining to everyone that I actually have lots of men in my life but I'm just friends with all of them and I don't feel a need (or a desire) to be in a relationship right now! I mean I see why that would be difficult for them to understand given my track record, but hey, I'm a new person now!!! Anyway, we had a great time hanging out. I don't know what it is about being here, being with my old friends that just does something in me. All of a sudden, this Spanish talking, hips shaking, ghetto acting person comes out lol. Its all super clean though, don't worry ;)!

So today I pretty much helped get ready for Sophia's birthday party tomorrow, talked to a bunch of people, made plans for next week and chilled with fam and God. I still haven't had any quality time with Tanya L. Not cool, I really want some, we need to talk. Joe is coming by soon to hang out, but I'm gonna have to go to church at 8 am tomorrow so no staying out late for me. Bummer, cuz I wanted to salsa! What else? It's sad seeing how virtually all of my friends here are unhappy and unsatisfied with life. The vicious cycle of heartache just repeats itself over and over. When they see how happy and at peace and joyful I am it blows their mind because they know I used to be just like them. Nevertheless I see God working in their lives and hearts and it's encouraging J. The harvest is ripe...

No comments: