Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Portfolio

Up until sometime in college, I had no idea what a portfolio was. I mean I knew it was a folder with some sort of documents, but I had no idea what (older) people meant when they were talking about their "portfolio". It was always puzzling to me how they would brag about it without ever actually saying what was in it. Of course now I know that they were talking about their financial investments portfolio and how much money they had in stocks, bonds and other "stuff". I'm still pretty clueless when it comes to investing, and being 25 I realize that's not good. I tried to have a financial advisor and that lasted for about 6 months or so, but then I kinda let it go because, let's face it, in order to invest money, you have to actually have money. So I haven't really thought about it much... until last night. At our leaders class, John mentioned the parable of the talents (money) and how different servants were, and were not, investing them. And then he pointed out something that made an impression on me. Whenever God talked about investment or investing, it always had to do with people. We don't invest in money, we invest in people. We don't use money for money, we use money for people. People matter, money doesn't. People leave legacies, money doesn't. People last, people make a difference, people are remembered... money is just a tool that should be used for people, not more money or things.

So I've been somewhat out of work for almost 2 weeks now... I haven't made much money, but how many people have I talked to, met with, touched, and helped? While my "financial" portfolio is virtually non-existent, I can look at my "people" portfolio and smile... I know that I am making an eternal difference that will live on long after my bank account and I are gone. Don't get me wrong, I am not diminishing the importance of having a financial portfolio, we need to be financially smart and savvy and prepared and I really need to get on top of that pronto, but I'm just clarifying the priorities that I personally have when it comes to that stuff :)

No comments: