Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I just want to teach!!!

So I went over John and Vita's tonight to have John fill out a recommendation form for me as my former principal. It was also my first opportunity to tell him what was going on with my job and how I was going back to teaching (and how ridiculously excited I am about all of this!). So I walk in all happy and excited and I tell him, and at first he gets a little concerned about me and then goes on to tell me how some of the other girls in our church (I know them, of course) got these amazing great paying jobs that they didn't have to go to school for, such as being a nanny and working in doctor's offices. And I know he wasn't suggesting that I should do it, he was just saying how he wants me to have money and "enjoy life" :). And then, as I was walking out, Vita started telling me how I could work for this super rich doctor making lots of money working 4 days a week as a receptionist. I know that they are just looking out for me and trying to help me, and trust me, I know they know money isn't everything, because right now they don't even have any, but still, that made me kind of upset...
Pretty much all Russians work jobs that don't require a college degree. They make lots of money and all, but all it is, is construction or flooring for guys and office jobs for girls. Not super rewarding careers, you know... Jobs I worked when I was in college. And it's not even about the fact that I busted my butt in college for 5 years and paid a lot of money to even get this degree... It's not about feeling like I have to use it... I actually want to use it.
I'm NOT your typical Russian... I didn't grow up around them during most of my school years, so education was always very important to me, and teaching is something that I was always very passionate about and very good at. Obviously, money has NOTHING to do with it, but then again, I never cared for that either... Why is it that one of the hardest and most exhausting jobs out there pays like crap? I know it's not fair, and I guess the answer to that is that it makes up for it in the amazing, priceless feeling of knowing that you've impacted somebody's life for the rest of their life. You can't buy that...
I love teaching. I love learning. I love kids and I love people... Teaching is something that God has placed so deep inside of me that I would always be doing it no matter where I work. If it's not at a school, it's at Sylvan:), if it's not there, it's teaching Image Kids :) or teaching/preaching from a pulpit :P That's why I want to be a pastor... I want to take care of people, to impact lives, to help, to teach, to inspire, to encourage... It's my calling in life and I can't (nor do I want to) run away from it.
I always tell God that my husband better be rich because it's the only way we'll have money :P Do I really care, though? No. I want to do what I was created to do. I want to do what makes me happy. I want to do what matters... I just want to teach!!!

1 comment:

Mike Carper said...

"Pretty much all Russians work jobs that don't require a college degree."

Wow never knew that, kinda nuts when i think about it... I glad that your not a typical Russian :)