Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Heart of a Father



In my walk with God, I think my favorite part, by far, is knowing that He is not just my God, but my Father. My Dad... And I think that's what defines the dynamics of our relationship. Having Him in that role, knowing that that's how He sees me and that's how He loves me - as His child.

My "real" dad is not completely horrible, but let's just say he wasn't the best example of a loving, caring father while I was growing up, especially during my adolescence when I needed him the most. In fact, if I really wanted to, I could easily blame all of my "issues" on him and be right according to a lot of psychologists, philosophers and theologists. Fathers play a crucial part in a child's life... I may even go as far as to say that the father's role is much more important than the mother's. Mothers may give life, but Fathers give identity...

Thank God my earthly father isn't the only example of a father figure in my life, or else I'd really be messed up! Somehow, God has always taken care to surround me with father figures who were, in fact, great examples of how a father should love his child(ren). In the past, a friend or a boyfriend's family have always "adopted" me. My pastor is definitely my spiritual father, but recently it's been the fathers of the kids I nanny who have impacted me the most. They are so amazing, I've come to see both of them as prototypes of the type of man I want to have children with one day.

No matter how awesome a father is though, his children will still make mistakes, mess up, disappoint and do the wrong thing. At least every once in a while... So what does a father do? How does he respond? Does he get mad and punish? Does he shut down and turn cold towards the child, ignoring and avoiding all interaction? Does he turn mean and abusive? Or does he love the child through it in patience, grace and kindness?

I've been rebelling against my heavenly Father for several weeks now... My own shame and guilt have caused me to avoid Him and cringe at the thought of punishment. And I know that that broke His heart more than my rebellion. He can deal with my sin. In fact, through Jesus' work on the cross, He already has. My wrongdoings don't hurt Him. Me questioning His love for me, does. Last week, I got to witness a tender interaction between a 3 year old boy I nanny and his dad. The child was being fussy, and the father's gentleness with him just amazed me... It was like God Himself was speaking to me and saying, "I know you're being fussy right now and are not ready to deal with what you have to do, but it's OK I'm still here and I still love you and I will wait for you." Wow...

Our God is the God who created everything. He can do anything and everything. His strength and power cannot be fully grasped by our finite human minds, and yet, His love for us is just as strong and just as powerful as His almighty strength. His heart is all encompassing... The heart of a Father... And I'm so grateful for the love that flows out of that heart :)

No comments: