Thursday, June 24, 2010

Getting Off The Crack...


In the last couple of days I've come to a pretty scary conclusion - Sin is like Crack (the drug, that is).

Sin - Doing what you know you shouldn't/Not doing what you know you should. Hence you're sinning against yourself (and the God who created you :P). More often than not, your sin affects not only yourself, but those around you as well... Especially those who care about you.

Crack - a highly addictive and powerful stimulant. It is abused because it produces an immediate high and because it is easy and inexpensive to produce. The pleasant effects of crack wear off quickly, causing users to feel 'down' or depressed, more than before taking the drug. Can be used as a pain reliever.

Sin, like Crack, is highly addictive. You need to "up the dosage" every time you "use" to get the same "high". And the withdrawals suck. Often, it's the "easy" way out, a sure way to release the stress, the pain, the anxiety, and to feel good for a little while... And I'm not gonna lie, while you're doing it, it does feel good. But once it's over, the guilt, the shame and the condemnation set in and you're miserable!

And so I got hooked on some "crack"... And didn't even realize it until I started getting the withdrawals and the side effects... And it was horrible... And yet, I couldn't just give it up, I couldn't quit, couldn't let go, it was too hard, the "high" felt too good... And so I prayed... Prayed in my guilt and in my shame, asking God to help me, still looking for a way I could keep the "high" without all the side effects... And then I heard Him. His response was a gentle, yet forceful slap that was meant to shake me sober: "You want me to comfort you in your sin, but I'm waiting to comfort you in your repentance." Ouch...


No comments: