Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Issue of Church

Lately I’ve been going to three very different church services at three very different churches. On Saturday nights I’m usually found at YP (Young Professionals), one of the City Church services, on Sunday mornings, I’m always at The Image, my home church, and on Sunday evenings I try very hard to end up at Mars Hill. All three churches are currently a part of me and each one represents a different stage of spiritual growth in my life.

City Church is my first family. I was literally born (again) and raised there. It is a perfect church for any new Christian - loving, nurturing and full of all the resources, classes and tools a new Christian needs to grow, mature and get established in the faith. It’s absolutely wonderful for building a strong, solid Biblical foundation and discovering your identity and purpose in Christ. It was there that I learned how to serve, got trained as a leader, and built many lifelong friendships. I learned about obedience, submission, true leadership, faithfulness, and purity. It was an amazing school, an ideal training ground to truly prepare me for my send off when it was time for me to graduate... And so I still love visiting YP. I enjoy being around people my own age, young professionals who love Jesus and who are my friends... It's nice to be with people who know you :)

If City was a school, Image is the workplace. It is the place I get to practice everything I've learned. I'm often challenged, frustrated and stretched to my limits (and what often feels beyond them). It's hard. Very hard at times, and I've wanted to quit on multiple occasions, but I know I'm there for a reason, and even if I am called to leave one day, that day has not come yet... Don't get me wrong, I do love The Image... I love the people, they are my new family now... And I absolutely adore my pastors, I think they are simply incredible, even if we do disagree sometimes...

I think the reason I enjoy going to Mars Hill so much is because of its stark diversity. I can picture just about anyone and everyone going there. It’s so laid back and chill, you don’t have to worry about “fitting in”. I'm not particularly fond of their rockish worship, but even that has grown on me a lot. When I'm there, I know I’m not surrounded only by Christians. While most of people who attend Mars Hill are Christian, a good portion is not. It took me a while to figure out that not everyone who goes to church is necessarily serving God. People go to church for all sorts of reasons, and I know because I used to be one of them and know many people who still are like that. Tradition, religion, friends, romantic relationships, family/peer pressure, guilt and self righteousness are just some of the things that can drive people to church. Unfortunately, attending church on Sundays doesn’t make you a Christian anymore than sitting in a garage makes you a car, especially in a big church like Mars Hill, where the controversy alone makes it a very appealing and interesting place to visit on a Sunday night when there isn’t much else to do.

It was as a pleasant surprise when God placed it on my mind and in my heart to go to Mars Hill about a month ago. I used to be a faithful Sunday night attendee there a couple of years back, but stopped going because I felt convicted to stick to my home church, and ever since then I’ve only been an infrequent visitor. Still, I LOVE Mars Hill, especially pastor Mark, whom I’ve met and admire almost as much as my own pastor. In fact, I think Mars Hill has some of the best theology teaching that I’ve ever heard anywhere.

When I went on their website to check out service times, I was once again reminded just why that place holds a special place in my heart. It’s ALL about Jesus. All the arrows, signs, messages, themes and EVERYTHING point to Jesus. I love it. What I love even more though is that it also focuses on people, culture and the city… I love the city, I love Seattle and I do not want to live anywhere else.

And so I've been going to Mars Hill for the entire Peasant Princess series so far, ever since God spontaneously brought me there the very first week it started... Random, I know, but hey, I know I need it (doesn't EVERYONE?). Once it ends, I might stop going... It's not my church home (for now), but I sincerely hope that one day it will be...

1 comment:

gone said...

Sometimes i wish there could be a church that would have everything a christian need in one place also! =/ but as days go by is more difficult to find one that is all good, where we will see clearly we are to be there!