Thursday, February 21, 2008

I HATE Religion!!! (With a PASSION!!!)

Please don't call me "religious".
Please don't call my church "organized religion".
And please don't ever mistake my faith for a "religion".

I've had my experience with religion and I hate it. Religion is what pushed me (and continues to push countless others) away from God. God's love is what brought me (and countless others) back...
In all irony, religion is what crucified Jesus.

Religion is the law, it's the "I have to", it's us "doing" this and that so that God would accept us and we can feel good about ourselves. It's guilt, fear, uncertainty and bondage. Who wants that? I don't!

The reason The Image is non-denominational is because we are "non-religious". We are radical, passionate and free... And over half of us are under the age of 21. What would make a 21 year old go to church 3 days a week? What would make an 18 year old spend a Friday night at a youth service and then stay and have night prayer 'till 3 am? Do they have to? No, some of their parents are not even there. They want to because they have tasted something... they have discovered something wonderful... they have encountered a God who loves them so much He actually wants them to enjoy having a relationship with Him.

People have some scary preconceived notions about God... Pastor Wendell's favorite is that God will make you marry somebody ugly and move to outer Siberia. Says who?! In case you haven't stepped into a church lately, that's where all the good looking people are :) The point is, God wants GOOD things for you. Just like a parent wants the BEST for his children, God only wants the best for us. Psalm 37:4, one of my favorite scriptures, says that He wants to give us the desires of our heart :)

God has given us a free will because He doesn't want a robotic, programmed, and forced religion. He wants a freedom and love filled relationship. He wants us to choose Him. The reason I'm friends with you is because I chose to be your friend. I actually want to talk to you, be around you and know you.

Why do I love God and live for Him the way that I do? Because I've tasted something I can't turn away from. I know no better way to live. I know of nothing better than being in a relationship with my Creator and fulfilling the purpose for which I was created.

Pastor Elijah wrote a beautifully simple song last year and it sums it up rather well. It's an "I want to" rather than an "I have to". It's a love relationship, not a dead religion.

"Not because I have to
Just because I want to
Be with You Lord Jesus
You're the one I love

There is no other love
Like Your amazing love
Your love has found me
Your love compels me

You are my heart's desire
My love for you is like fire
I can't contain it
I can't explain it

And I am not mistaken
I live to worship You

Not because I have to
Just because I want to
Be with You Lord Jesus
'Cause You're the one I love"

God Reaching Out to Man

No comments: